Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Recipe

Today is a very cool Fall Sunday afternoon!  It has not even hit 60 degrees.  We relaxed all day and even turned on the fireplace.  Nice and cozy!

I posted on my FaceBook that I was planning to make homemade mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, and chicken for dinner.  My friend, Rachel Jones, asked me to post the recipe on our blog.  So, here I am!

Normally, when I make recipes, I do not measure ingredients.  So, I will do my best to explain the mashed potatoes.  The green bean casserole is actually the recipe from the back of a french fried onion can.

Homemade Mashed Potatoes

5 Medium to Large Russet Potatoes
Vitamin D Milk
Butter
Salt

Depending on how much homemade mashed potatoes you want, you can always add more potatoes.  Chris and I like to have extra for leftovers.  It is always good warmed-up.

1.  Boil Water; Add Small Amount of Salt to Water
2.  Peel Potatoes and Wash
3.  Cut Potatoes; Small Pieces
4.  Cook Potatoes in Salt Water
5.  Drain Potatoes

Typically, the potatoes are finished boiling when you take a fork to them and they break into smaller pieces.  Not sure exactly how many minutes this is, just keep an eye on them.

Put the potatoes in a large bowl.  Do your best to mash the potatoes so there are no whole pieces left.  Once this is completed, add vitamin D milk and butter.  Again, I do not measure.  But always add a little at a time.  I always add more butter than milk.  Mix the potatoes, milk, and butter with a mixer.  

Continue to add milk and butter to the potatoes until it is to your tasting.  Add a bit of salt at the end.  The homemade mashed potatoes should be very creamy and buttery.  When I serve it, I always add more butter!  :)

Green Bean Casserole

1 (10 3/4-OZ) Can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
3/4-Cup of Milk
1/8-TSP Black Pepper
1 1/3-Cups French's French Fried Onions
2 (14 1/2-OZ) Cans Green Beans, Drained or 2 (9-OZ) Frozen Cut Green Beans, Thawed

1.  Mix Soup, Milk, Black Pepper, and Beans in a Large Bowl
2.  Add 2/3-Cups of French Fried Onions
3.  Add All Ingredients to 1 1/2-QT Casserole
4.  Bake at 350 Degrees for 30-Minutes
5.  Top w/ Remaining Onions - Bake Additional 5-Minutes

For Thanksgiving, I always make both of these recipes.  Both are extremely good and great leftover.  I guess when I woke up this morning, my mind was thinking about Thanksgiving!  Off to start dinner...  Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks!!! :)
    They just sounded SO good when you said you were making them, I'll have to make them tonight..still can't believe I've never made the casserole, it's always one of my favorites at Thanksgiving...Oh Thanksgiving, can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete