Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Our Baby Boy is HERE!

Brixen Christopher Keller
February 18, 2011
8:59 PM
7 LBS; 14 OZ
20.5-Inches

On February 18, I woke up at approximately 1:00 AM with contractions.  I wasn't sure if they were the "fake" contractions since I had woken up before with "fake" ones.  I decided about a half hour later to wake up Chris and asked him to start timing the contractions.  He had downloaded an AP on this phone called Daddy 511.  It worked great!  Contractions continued for about 3-hours and that is when we decided to call Dr. Swenson.  She said make our way to the hospital and we both realized THIS IS IT!  We finished packing everything and headed out!  We checked into Labor & Delivery at 4:27 AM.

We got into our room immediately and I was given an IV because I was dehydrated.  I was surprised to learn I was only dilated at 2!  On the way to the hospital, we phoned my family and they were on the road within a half hour.  So...  We were waiting for their arrival.  Contractions were getting more intense and I thought for sure I was dilating and moving forward.  Finally, my family got there and it was so good to see everyone (Mom, Dad, Bruce, Ashlee, and Kyle).  We all cried because it was such a great moment, even though I was in a lot of pain.  Since I was only dilated at 2, they decided to head back to our house to relax until I got further along.  Luckily, our house is only 10-minutes from the hospital.

FINALLY...  I decided about 1:00 PM (after laboring for 12-hours with NOTHING) to get an epidural.  I was exhausted and really wanted to sleep.  I needed to get some energy for the pushing stage.  The epidural was GREAT!  I made the right decision in getting it.  After I got it, the Resident Doctor broke my water and also gave me a small amount of pitocin to move the process along.  It worked!  About 5:00 PM, I was checked again and had made it to 5-centimeters.  After that, things moved very quickly.  I had to get a little more of the epidural because I was starting to feel the contractions again.  At approximately 7:00 PM, I was at 9-centimeters and starting to shake like crazy.  I guess the epidural does that to you...  I couldn't stop!  At this point, Chris told my family to get back here and quickly because he wasn't sure how much longer it would be until we met our Baby Boy, Brixen!

I was starting to get that "urge" to push...  By this point, I just really wanted this whole thing to be over and to have our son in my arms.  It had been almost 20-hours since I started having contractions.  About 10-minutes to 8:00 PM, I started pushing!  Just over an hour later, Brixen Christopher Keller was born at 8:59 PM.  WOW!  Words truly cannot describe this experience.  After 9 long months, Brixen was FINALLY here!  When Dr. Simon put him on my chest for the first time, I was overwhelmed with joy and happiness.  I cried and thanked God for this precious miracle!  

We were not able to video the birth.  I wouldn't have wanted it to be on video anyway but Chris was able to video the audio.  And, guess what?  He put together a video!  There will be plenty of more videos and photos in the days to come.  See below...  Enjoy!




We now have been home for a week...  It has gone by fast and has been a bit stressful!  We went to the Pediatrician on Monday and Brixen had lost some weight.  I just wasn't producing enough breast milk.  We had a lactation consultant come to the house on Thursday, which was a huge help!  I am eating good now and drinking plenty of water to help stimulate more milk production.  In addition, I am taking FenuGreek.  Brixen is feeding consistently 10-minutes on each breast.  For him to gain weight, I have to supplement another ounce of breast milk in a bottle after we feed.  It has worked out great thus far and we are hoping it will only enhance my milk production.  Eventually, we will be only breast feeding but that will take time.  We went back to the Pediatrician on Friday.  Brixen had gained 6-ounces, which made me cry because I was so worried when he had lost the weight.  Everything now seems to be on-track and we go back to see his doctor on Friday, March 4.

Chris, Brixen, and I want to THANK EVERYONE who left FaceBook message, sent text messages, called us, brought food, sent flowers, etc.  We appreciate all of your love and support!  It has been an amazing journey and each day is only going to get better and better.  Please check back often as we plan to upload more videos and photos.  Plus, I want to provide updates often on Brixen for family and friends!  THANKS AGAIN!

Happy Birthday to Our Son
BRIXEN CHRISTOPHER

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Heather and Chris! Brixen is sooooo incredibly adorable! Sounds like you two are PERFECT parents for your little dude. Let the fun begin! Congratulations, again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the end of the first video "Thanks God, Thanks wife" AWWWW and Brixen in his snowsuit to come home all warm and cozy!!! So freaking cute!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. incredible! you will be so glad later on that you have those videos! brixen is pretty blessed to have such amazing parents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Heather, he's beautiful! Well worth it I'm sure! I remember shaking and shivering SO TERRIBLY when I was having Jerimiah, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, again!! He's beautiful and such a wonderful story! Take care and God bless!! :0)

    ReplyDelete