Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Preparing for Childbirth - Class #1

On Monday, we started our first class at the hospital, Preparing for Childbirth (Lamaze Class).  For the next four Mondays, we will be at Evanston Hospital where Brixen will be born from 7:00 PM to 9:30 PM.   So exciting...  Each week, I am planning to write in our blog about the class, our experience, and what we learned.  I really want to be able to look back on our blog from time-to-time and remember these special moments. 

At the beginning of our class, we had introductions.  There are two couples in our class that are having twins and both due sometime in January.  Most couples were due in December and January.  Two of us were due in February.  I decided to take this class in November because it was not offered in December.  Probably because of the holidays.  I thought January would be pushing it and it really is not a month you want to get out in Chicago!

Our instructor seems really nice...  Her name is Trish Sweeney.  She was a nurse for many years and now teaches Preparing for Childbirth.  She started off the class with Lamaze Tools.  Things we can do to decrease fear, anxiety, pain, and sense of vulnerability.  In addition, she talked about tools that help increasing ability to make informed choices and assert control over the birth experience.  She believes in a "good experience."  Whether that be natural or with an epidural.  

We went over a brief overview of the birth process, which includes four stages:  (1) Dilating Stage, (2) Pushing Stage, (3) Placental Stage, and (4) Initial Postpartum Stage.  I feel like I have learned a lot over the past few months with my readings but it is always good to hear this kind-of stuff from someone with experience. 

Also, we went over signs, characteristics, feelings/emotions, Mom's role, and Dad's role for early labor.  This was interesting and I enjoyed this part.  Our instructor mentioned that it is best to stay home as long as possible before coming to the hospital.  Home is comfort for most people.  While I am planning to put together a birth plan, I know that things change.  That is just how life is but my body is preparing for childbirth right now.  I want my body to take its course.  I plan to be as calm and patient as possible.  With my Husband's support, I know I will be just fine!  Once we feel the need to go to the hospital, we will.  But I am hoping to relax at home as much as possible beforehand and definitely take a warm shower!

We ended the class with some slow paced breathing techniques, which I loved.  I think taking Yoga in the past will really help me.  I am sure as the class goes on, there will be more techniques we will be able to utilize plus we got a booklet of information.  AND...  We got to watch a video!  We actually saw a baby being born.  I knew they would show this video BUT I was not sure if I could handle watching it or not.  Really, it was not that bad.  A baby being born is such a miracle.  I can't wait to meet our BABY BOY!

Next week, we get to tour the hospital.  I can't wait to see Labor and Delivery.  Especially, excited to see where my family will be waiting when Chris comes out to announce Brixen has made his grand entrance into this world!  This brings tears to my eyes...  I love you already, Brixen!

No comments:

Post a Comment